The “Cherita George Town” project is glad to announce its second fellowship program, a 4 –month opportunity to work as an Oral History Fellow with a team of enthusiastic members.
“Cherita George Town” is a 3-year project (2014-2016) of George Town World Heritage Incorporated (GTWHI), and supported by the Oral History Centre of Singapore National Archives. The objective is to systematically collect, document, preserve and disseminate oral histories from 99 residents of George Town.
This opportunity is aimed at researchers/individuals with an interest and passion in history and the stories of ordinary people in George Town. Successful applicants are expected to complete training series that will equip them with essential skills and knowledge needed in this project.
Upon completion of the trainings, successful applicants will be ready to explore the real excitement of oral history. This is a rare chance to meet people from all walks of life up close and personal: learn what was life like in George Town in the past, get inspired by personal life stories, share meaningful moments of joy and sadness etc.
For all successful applicants, attendance to the following training sessions is compulsory:
1. 3-Day Oral History Workshop (May 23-25, 2015) *See appendix for workshop details
2. THREE specialist lectures (June, date TBC)
3. ONE audio technical workshop (June, date TBC)
Responsibilities to include:
1. Engage with and conduct interview with ONE long-time George Town resident (July-August).
2. Maintain communications with interviewee & manage scheduling.
3. Manage post interview paperwork.
4. Produce synopsis and quotations for interview done.
1. Good and respectful listener with a genuine interest in people.
2. Able to speak any of the local languages and/or dialects (Malay, Tamil, Hokkien, Mandarin etc.).
3. Possess good interpersonal skill and certain qualities such as empathy, patience and curiosity.
4. Academic training in research and organisational skills.
5. Able to work independently.
Oral History Fellowship Certificate endorsed by George Town World Heritage Incorporated (GTWHI), Penang State's Agency for Heritage
Deadline for Application: May 15, 2015
For registration or enquiries, write to
OR call 013 5358863
Oral History Workshop
Date : May 23-25, 2015
Venue : George Town World Heritage Incorporated (GTWHI)
116 & 118, Lebuh Acheh, 10200 George Town
Time : 8.45am-5.30pm
i) Dr. Lye Soo Choon, Senior Oral History Specialist
Oral History Centre, National Archives Singapore
ii) Ms. Kuah Li Feng, Project Coordinator
Oral History Documentation Project of George Town World Heritage Incorporated (GTWHI)
May 23 (Sat) 8.45 am - 5:30 pm
Briefing on GTWHI Oral History Project and the Fellowship Program
Introduction on Oral History
May 24 (Sun) 8:45 am - 5:30 pm
Interview Outline and Questions
Hands-On Interview Sessions
May 25 (Mon) 8:45 am - 5:30 pm